Wednesday, May 9, 2012

baby's first haircut

Last week, Krew had his first haircut.  He was born with lots of dark hair, and over the past six months, it has grown longer, and lots blonder.  It has always made him look older than he is, since lots of babies have little to no hair, and he has a whole head of it.  But, as you can see from the pictures below, he was in need of a little trim.  I was so hesitant to cut his hair at all for a few reasons.  First, I think of him as a little brunette baby because that's what color his hair was at first.  But it is so much lighter now, that I know as soon as I cut off the ends, he won't be even a little bit brunette, and I'm not ready to let go of that.  Second, his hair has been so much about who he is so far.  It's probably the first thing people notice about him, and I didn't want that to change (yet!)  Also, he has the cutest curls by his ears, that I'm not sure he'll have ever again once we cut them off, and I love them.  However, the back (mullet) was starting to bother  me, and I decided it had to go.  And somehow, now that he is six months old, that suddenly made me feel like it was okay to trim some of his baby hair.
The orange arrow is pointing to the longest bit of hair.  Isn't that crazy?!

Another view of the craziness that is the back of his hair

After, spit up on his chin and all!

So, my talented friend Greta came over to trim up the back a little.  Just cutting off the mullet was more than I could handle emotionally, so I didn't let her touch the front or the sides.  That may make me sound like a crazy mom, but that's just how I felt!
 And see?  He still has those awesome curls on the side, and he still looks like Krew!
Also, a little secret: all his six month pictures I posted last week were taken after his haircut, and I think his hair looks perfect!

P.S.  It's ironic that I am posting about this haircut today, and how it was an emotional experience for me, because we had a hair cutting incident last night that was much more traumatic, and I'm not ready to talk about it yet.  (And don't worry, Krew was unaffected by said incident).

No comments: