Thursday, October 10, 2013

we went to new mexico: day three

Day three we headed to this fun restaurant that Bart had discovered while looking to see if Man vs. Food had ever been to Albuquerque.  Sure enough, this is one of the places they ate.  This place is huge, the food is good, and the prices are crazy low!
The plan for the day was to take some hikes to see some petroglyphs.  Well, the main hikes we wanted to do were closed due to flooding.  Yeah, the first part of Bart's trip he got to experience some of the worst rain/flooding that that area has seen in 20 years.  Luckily we found another hike and got to see some neat ancient drawings.
Love, love, love this picture of my tired baby snuggling his daddy.
It was fun to be outside, hiking in the desert, looking out at the mountains, and enjoying the dry air.  Made me miss home.
Okay, I have to say something about these two.  I knew that Krew and Lynndon were going to be fast friends.  They are less than a year apart, and they are both the most mischievous children in their families.  Watching Lynndon while we were there reminded me of Krew several times.  I wish they got to spend more time together, but then again, they would probably be TROUBLE!


I call this one: Mamas carrying babies!

My little hiker.  Boy, did he love being outside and wandering around like this.  In the dirt.  With his cousins. He was in little boy heaven.
After our hike, we decided we needed to cool off with some amazing shaved ice!  I've heard of people going crazy over snow cones and shaved ice, but I've never had any that were worth talking about.  Until now.  The only problem was deciding what flavor to get.  There were so many!  I finally settled on strawberry cheesecake and toasted coconut with creme on top!  It was amazing!
 



After our delicious treats, we had to say goodbye to Bret and Charise and the kids so they could start their long drive back home.  I hate saying goodbye, but it was easier knowing that we will see them here in a few months!
With a few hours of daylight left on our trip, Bart and I decided to take a drive up the canyon.  It strangely felt a lot like the canyons I grew up near, and strangely felt nothing like them at the same time.  But, I loved every minute of the drive.  It smelled so good, I loved being able to look out and see the town below us, I loved the winding road, and all of it made me miss home. A. Lot. (And by home I mean Utah, not Wisconsin where I live, because I still can't call it home.  Although I did miss my two children who we left at home, but that's a different matter entirely!)
When we got to the top, we could not believe this spectacular view!  It was honestly breathtaking.


Oh, and watch out for bears, apparently!
After our canyon drive, we found some dinner, packed our things, returned our rental car, and went to sleep.  The next morning, we woke up super early to catch our flight home.  Krew was not very happy about being woken up early, and turned into this monster:
Actually, all things considered, he was very well behaved on the way home.
Once we arrived back home, all I could think about was how much longer I had to wait to see Kade and Ky.  I was so happy to see them when I picked them up from school that I may have cried a little bit.  It was a great trip, and I was so glad that Kade and Ky had a fun weekend and were happy and safe, but it was awesome to see them again.  Because, as Bart and I always say, "It's better when we're together!"

1 comment:

Bret and Charise Miller said...

We are so glad you guys came AND brought Krew ( I know you could have left him and had a weekend away). That is great that you went up the canyon and took advantage of being near mountains :)
We are ready to open a Bahama Bucks when you guys are. Preferably in the southwest/west somewere ;)