Tuesday, April 10, 2012

diy chevron cabinet

After finishing a family room downstairs, and the furniture shuffle that followed, I was left without a media cabinet to go under the TV in our living room.  I could not believe how much a new cabinet was going to cost, even for an ugly one.  So, Bart and I have been on the hunt for a used cabinet that we could redo.  A month or so ago, we found this "beauty" at a thrift store for $25!  It was in such sad shape, we could tell that it was homemade-but very sturdy, and I loved that it was so plain because I knew I could go in so many different directions with it.
 Before
 See?  Pretty sad-but I could see the potential and I was so excited to get started!
 The first thing I did was get out the crayons!  I quickly sketched out a few of the ideas I had in my head for what we could add to make the cabinet awesome!  Originally we were going to go with the second design, by adding wooden plaques to the fronts of the doors, but it just never felt like it was coming together the way we wanted it to.  So, we decided to go with the chevron cabinet instead.


After
 I love how it turned out!  It is such a fun piece, and one of a kind, which I love about it.  I have to give Bart so much of the credit for this cabinet.  I told him what I wanted, but while I fed and held the baby, he painted, cut, and sanded most everything.  I couldn't have done it without him.  We make a great team, and it makes me excited to see what else I can design, and tell Bart to paint!   

A couple of my favorite details are the legs which we painted a very reflective metallic silver.  It's hard to see in the photo, but it adds a fancy, subtle touch, like jewelry.  I also love the knobs we found, which are deep purple glass.  I knew I wanted just a touch of purple on the front to go with the gray and white chevron, and I was happy to find the perfect knobs.



 As you can see from the before pictures, the inside was pretty hideous, and since I knew people would see inside when we had to open the cabinet to be able to use our remote controls while watching TV or movies, I decided to make the inside as cool as the outside.  I painted the sides and shelves gray, the inserts on the shelves white, and added some textured, purple paper in the back.  I love how it looks, inside and out!

1 comment:

Bret and Charise Miller said...

AWESOME!!! That turned out soooo cute!