Friday, January 5, 2018

halloween 2017

We had, yet again, an amazing Halloween this year!  I love brainstorming costume ideas with my kids, to see what they want to be each year. It always seems like a snapshot of their interests at that particular time and phase of life.  

Halloween 2017


Everly was the first to decide what she wanted to be.  I think she decided in August that she wanted to be Rapunzel.  "Because I have long hair," she would say when anyone asked her why.  This was the perfect idea because little did she know, I had already purchased a Rapunzel dress to give to her for her birthday in September.  Luckily she didn't change her mind between August and October.  We added the cute little Pascal to her shoulder for an extra special touch!

Krew took longer to decide.  As I've mentioned before, he doesn't like costumes, and rarely puts any on just for fun.  In fact, up until a few weeks before Halloween this year, I think he had only voluntarily put a costume on once.  But, this year, with the excitement of Halloween and costumes building in October, his friends were running around outside in costumes, and he actually joined in a few times.  Anyway, finding a costume for Krew that isn't much of a costume is a struggle, but none of the ideas that fit that requirement excited him.  As soon as I mentioned that he should be a bird, he was sold!  After looking at several ideas online, he settled on this rainbow bird costume.  I knew he would love it, and I got my wish of making homemade Halloween costumes for my kids.  
 Seriously, isn't he the cutest bird you have ever seen???
Kade as Harry Hook
 Kade and Ky had been watching Descendants and Descendants 2 nonstop since about August, so I wasn't surprised when they wanted to recreate some costumes from those movies.  (Actually, to be fair, we had all been watching Descendants and singing the songs nonstop since August. We love it!)
All it took was a trip to the thrift store, some paint, hot glue, faux fur, and fake metal studs, and we were able to recreate an awesome Harry Hook costume for Kade, and a cool Carlos costume for Ky.

Harry Hook

Ky as Carlos
Carlos from Descendants

 I think they turned out pretty close to the real thing, don't you?  In fact, I think they are closer to being accurate than some of the costumes you can purchase.  The boys were happy with them either way, so that's all that mattered.
I was actually going to give Bart a break and not make him wear a costume this year since we didn't have a family theme, but he wanted to dress up with me, so a magician and the rabbit he pulled out of his hat it was!

Also, notice that we are all in short sleeves and shorts at the church Halloween party, which was on October 21st.  It was so nice and warm.  Of course, 10 days later we were freezing while trick-or-treating.
 "Chillin' like a Villain"





 Everly and Krew were so into trick or treating.  They literally ran from house to house and kept going until their buckets were too heavy for them to carry themselves.



 I love making these memories with our little family!

No comments: