Tuesday, January 16, 2018

remembering grandpa bob


In November, Bart's grandpa Bob passed away, so we all went to Iowa for his funeral.  I'm finding that funerals for grandparents are such a mix of happy and sad emotions.  It is wonderful to get together with relatives that you haven't seen for a very long time, and funerals cause you to reflect on so many happy, wonderful memories.  Of course there is sadness for the fact that you will never see or hear that person again in this life, but I'm grateful to know that we will be together again in the next life.

One great thing about being able to go to the funeral, was seeing Bart's brother, Bret, who we haven't seen for more than two years since he and his family moved to Germany.
Clearly the boys were excited to see him!
After the lovely service, we mingled with friends and family and ate some yummy food.  The best part were the Dutch Letters we all got to eat.  Whenever we saw Bob, he would give us a huge bag of the delicious letters.  They will forever remind us of him.  I love that Ky and Kade realized how special the letters were to them too.
We tried to get a few pictures of the family that was all there together.  The basement florescent lighting wasn't ideal, but I'm glad we got the pictures that we did.


The kids made sure to give lots hugs Grandma Dot.



The Miller brothers
The Miller Men



The following are some of the pictures we have of Grandpa Bob over the years.  We are so lucky that we got to have him in our lives as long as we did!


This picture was taken when we went to Pella for Tulip Time.  I was having horrible back pain and could only walk for a couple minutes at a time.  So, Bob drove me all around on his scooter.  I was so grateful for the ride, and for the time I got to spend just the two of us.  He took me to the bakery where they make the Dutch letters, and showed me the back where they bake and package everything.  It was so fun.  Also, this may have been his first selfie! ;)
Grandpa Bob and all my boys dressed in their Dutch costumes riding in the Tulip Time parade.

We love you and miss you Grandpa Bob!  Until we meet again!

No comments: