Monday, March 15, 2021

enjoying june 2020

We started June out by celebrating National Donut Day.  I'm not sure why Krew and Everly look like they are disgusted by their donuts, because I promise, they loved them!

 

COVID changed so much of what school looked like, and since the kids finished out the school year virtually, at home, they missed all the fun end-of-year celebrations that usually take place in elementary school.  A fun thing that the teachers did was have a parade where all the teachers drove around in front of each student's house and honked and waved.  I told Krew he should make a sign to say "Thank you" or "I miss you" or "Have a great summer."  He made a sign that was all Krew.

                    

It simply said, "Hello" and he stood there holding it without smiling or waving.  Not because he didn't like his teacher, or because he wasn't excited to see her drive by, but because he's a funny kid!

                

We spent much more time at lake beaches this summer than any other year since we've lived here.  The pools were closed due to the pandemic, but we were able to swim and play at the sand at the beach, so we went often.  I'd still rather go to the pool (or an actual beach by the ocean), but it was a great way to spend a summer day.



One day in June, we took a day trip to Dave's Falls to do some hiking and check out the waterfalls.

It was so beautiful, and it felt so great to get out somewhere and explore together. I will say that most of us were quite disappointed in the "waterfalls". To me they seemed like the river was just going over a large log or boulder, and not really a fall.  But to be fair, I grew up in Utah where we drove past a 607 foot tall waterfall on a fairly regular basis.  So I might be a tad picky on what qualifies as a waterfall.  Still, it was a great day and I loved spending it with my favorite people.













Most of June, Everly spent on either our porch or the neighbor's porch, surrounded by millions of toys.  She's not allowed to go inside anyone's home (courtesy of COVID), so she and her friend would just bring all the toys outside.  Even in the pouring rain, they could spend hours outside playing together with all their toys!
Annual Father's day photo


Bart and I were able to sneak away one day, and sitting on this dock, just the two of us felt so great after being stuck at home all day every day with all 4 (bored) kids!

Perhaps the biggest miracle brought about by the pandemic: Bart agreed (finally) to let us get a trampoline.  Knowing that we were all going to be stuck at home for months on end, was finally the push he needed to agree to it after years of us all begging!  Of course, there was a trampoline shortage brought about because of the pandemic, so we had to wait (and hunt), but we finally got it!  

Ky spend lots of his free time drawing, and I love this sketch he drew of me!


And we learned that kids are never too old to enjoy throwing rocks into the water. I have wondered since they were little what the draw is about, but my kids always get so excited when we go somewhere that they can throw rocks into the water.  Is it just my kids?  Or is it all kids?

After months of not even going inside a store, Bart took Krew and Everly to the dollar store and Everly came home with these treasures.  I think by that point they had forgotten what the inside of places (besides our own house) looked like.

No comments: