Sunday, May 11, 2008

happy mother's day!

On this beautiful Mother's Day, I wanted to take a minute and honor my mother and Bart's mother.
This is my mom and the boys at Downtown Disney. We had such a great time with her when she came out in February. My mom is a very talented woman. She can sew anything! She made most of my clothes when I was little, she made my wedding dress--and it looked amazing. I can't imagine the care and time she took to make sure it looked perfect, including the time it took to hand-bead the entire bodice. She is also a talented cook. Growing up I never liked to eat at anyone else's house because I knew it wouldn't be as good as my mom's cooking. Along with this she makes the most gorgeous cakes, from birthday cakes to wedding cakes. She makes homemade candies and hand-dipped chocolates. She also makes amazing flower arrangements, basically she can craft just about anything. Watching her example, I often find myself thinking, "Why buy that, when I could probably make it myself?" Then I try, it looks horrible, and I realized just how talented my mom truly is. It's hard living so far from my mom, I miss her a lot. She is such a good grandma to my boys, and I know she wishes that we lived closer. I love you mom!
This picture is from last April at Bret and Charise's wedding. That's Bart's mom on the left, her mom in the middle and me. I love this picture. Bart's mom is one the most caring people I know. She's friends with so many people, partly because she has a special way of letting people know that she cares. She is so easy to talk to, and I've enjoyed some late-night conversations with her when we have had the chance to visit. Another thing I admire about her is how enthusiastic she gets about everything. It doesn't matter what it is, she gets excited about even the little things going on in our lives, it makes me feel special. One of my favorite memories with her was once when we were visiting, I went with her to a dance aerobics class at her gym. When we came home, we were in the kitchen trying to remember the routine, and ended up falling on the floor, we were laughing so hard. I'm excited to be moving closer to her, to get to know her better, and to have more "falling on the floor laughing" moments.


Happy Mother's Day to our mothers and to all our friends who are mothers. I learn so much from all of you as I try to learn how to be a mother to my children.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for the kind words. You are so amazing yourself. The wonderful woman you are is hardly my doing. You are determined, creative, talented, caring and oh, so smart. I'm glad too for you that you have a wonderful mother-in-law. I am likewise blessed and I am so happy for you that Deni is such a bright spot in all your lives. (Zen's pretty great, too!)

Sarah H said...

Wow, that is a talented woman. I've met both your mom and Bart's mom and they are really sweet people.