Thursday, May 22, 2008

purging

The dictionary defines purging as a forced cleansing or release. I define it as the first step in the moving process. I would like to say I have that process down since this will be our sixth move in the past five years, but I'm certainly not as organized about it as I would like. For example, this past winter I cleaned out my pantry, only to find 3 cans of tomatoes that were expired. But they weren't just barely expired, they had expired at the beginning of 2005. Which means that they had been moved 3 times and over 2,400 miles after they expired.


So I started purging things before it's time to pack to make sure that doesn't happen again. I decided to go through all my boxes of baby clothes that I have accumulated since the boys were born. I discovered that I had 9 boxes of clothes, size newborn to 18 months. And this is after I had a yard sale, gave garbage bags full of clothes to 2 different new moms, and took some to Goodwill. (People have been very generous and given us a lot of clothes.) I guess I have an attachment to so many of the boys' outfits, and even felt it necessary to keep 2 of the same outfit, just in case we have twin boys again. (I know, I'm crazy!)
Anyway, I went through the clothes, again, and decided to only keep 3 boxes of clothes. I was proud of how much I was able to let go of, even if I cried as I sorted.


So, if any of you are having a little boy and would like some cute baby clothes, let me know and we can try to work something out to get them to you.

4 comments:

. said...

Your place looks just like my place! I have boxes and goodwill piles all over my house. Good luck with everything!

Heidi said...

Keep going girl - purging is the best!!!! That is why it is so fun to move....you guys have definiteley had your fair share of moves!! Good luck!!

Jessica said...

Good for you. Hopefully this will be last purge and move for a while right? I have kept all of BGs clothes so I don't know how you can get rid of all those clothes!

The Kelly Family said...

I save all my kids clothes, too. I have been better about getting rid of the stuff that I won't let them wear in public anymore because they are starting to take up a lot of space. I wish I could say I need some cute boy baby clothes...