Thursday, January 31, 2008

double what!?


What makes perfect strangers think it's okay to call my children "trouble"? I took Kade and Ky to Busch Gardens today. We had a great time, but at least five or six times, someone said to me something along the lines of, "Oh, here comes double trouble!" Now, today is certainly not the first time people have said that to us, but I heard it so many times today that it really started to bug me. I wanted to say to each of those people, "What makes you think they are trouble at all? And even if they are, they aren't trouble for you!" There have been lots of times when I correct someone who has made this offensive remark by saying, "No, twice blessed." But, sometimes their remark is made in passing, and I don't want to turn around and shout my response to them. So I am just left to wonder why people say things like that about twins. If a mother is walking with one adorable little boy, people don't stop her to tell her that her child is trouble. It was the same thing when I was pregnant with the boys. I would tell people I was expecting twins and they would say something like, "Oh, I'm so sorry for you!" or "Oh, that's going to be so much work!" or "I'm glad it's you and not me." Nobody says those kinds of things to a woman who is carrying one baby. I think the whole thing is just plain rude.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I feel much better now. Plus, my not double trouble boys are asleep, so I'm going to have some "me time."

3 comments:

Rachel said...

i agree with you! I actually kind of want twins!

Natalie said...

some people just don't think before they say things...I think you are doing a great job with those boys! They are double blessed to have you and Bart as their parents!

thanks for your comments on my blog, but what were you doing up at 5:41 am???

Sarah H said...

OH boy do I know what you're talking about. "I wouldn't wish twins on my worst enemy" is actually what someone told me when I was pregnant. The worst part was I had a scary 20 week ultrasound and I wasn't even sure I would have twins!
Twins are the best, and we know it!