Friday, January 18, 2008

strawberries


This is what we have been doing the past few weeks...eating strawberries. One of the advantages of living here is living near the "Winter Strawberry Capital of the World." Which means that we get to buy strawberries in January that are better than any I've ever had, for $2 a pound. Depending where you are from, that might not sound like a big deal, but groceries are quite expensive here, so when I consider that a pound of potatoes costs $4 per pound, it's a great deal. I would much rather eat a pound of strawberries than half a pound of potatoes! So, for the past few weeks, I've bought a pound of strawberries every few days as we run out. I fully intend on keeping our fridge stocked with strawberries until I can no longer get them at this price. We love to eat them plain, or with a little whipped cream. I've tried to think what I could make with strawberries, like a pie or tarts or something, but I think that they are too good to be messed with and they deserve to be eaten just as they are! Although, everything is better dipped in chocolate, so I think I am going to have to get some nice dipping chocolate and have some fun.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

ymmuy! I am so jealous. When strawberries are in season here I always say I'm going to freeze them we can have them year-roung then never do. Oh well. Enjoy it while you can!

Natalie said...

yah, they sound yummy! One thing that you might want to try is strawberry freezer jam! It is sooooo good and it will make your strawberries last a little longer. My mom has a great recipe if you are interested. Your little family is so cute! I love to keep an eye on your blog.

Rachel Murray said...

Something you might want to try with all those yummy stawberries is cut them into fourths, put them in a cereal bowl, sprinkle with sugar, and then pour some milk over them and eat them like cereal. My mom and I used to always do that when I was growing up and it is such a treat!! (Probably not the healthiest way to enjoy them, but equal to whipped cream :)
Enjoy!!

Summmack said...

Does your mouth itch?

Breanne said...

I am so jealous! This part of winter is so hard because we are so limited on good fresh fruit! What I wouldn't give for some fresh strawberries, hmmm, guess I will just have to wait for spring/summer.