Friday, June 29, 2012

fun runnin'

To continue the tradition of Kade and Ky running in kids' races, last weekend the boys ran another 1/2 mile race put on by our congregation at church.  Their first race was a few weeks after they turned two, then they ran another when they were three, then two last year when they were five, and now this one as six year olds.  This may lead you to believe we do this because we are a running family.  Not so.  Perhaps I "make" my children run races because running has always been something I wish I liked, but truthfully think that running might actually kill me.  (Don't worry, they don't feel like I'm making them run.  They actually really like these little races.)  

On your marks..

Ignore the kid in the front with his number in his face, hee hee.  Instead look how both my boys have their tongues out while they run.  Maybe if I used this technique, I might survive running!

Their victory popsicles!
After the kids' race was over, Bart ran in the 5K!  I was so proud of him, especially since we made a goal together last summer that we would both run it this year, and it became pretty clear a few months ago that it was going to be difficult to find time to train with 3 kids at home.  Either that or my extreme hatred of running beat my desire to want to run, to be in shape, and achieve my goal.  But Bart stayed committed, and even though he only started training a few weeks ago, he was able to run the whole race and finish with a good time.  Way to go Bart!
This year, Ky won 1st place in his age group!  He was so proud of his shiny new medal, and he loved seeing his name on the poster of winners.  Kade came in six seconds behind to get 2nd place.  He didn't handle losing to his brother very well (he is a tad competitive) even though he got 1st place last year.  I told them the only way for them both to win is to run really fast and then hold hands as they cross the finish line together!  I'm sure they will be competing with each other in lots of areas their whole lives!

Way to go Ky and Kade!

1 comment:

kendra joy said...

Fun! I've never thought to do that but Blakeley would love it! I'll have to do one with her.